Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Are you...always this articulate?

"Are you...always this articulate?" Name that movie!

I wish I was more articulate especially when I am talking to a potential employer on the phone.

I just watched Rachel Berry speak exactly what she wanted to say into her phone onto the voicemail of the lady who could potentially fulfill her dream. Yes, I know that she is a character on a TV show. There are people who can do that, though. They know exactly what they want to say and to convey, and they do it. On the spot! They don't write it out and read it over the phone like a caller on an episode of Frasier. ...not that I would do that...notes, maybe, but not word for word.

Ok, ok. Name this movie:
"No, I know what you mean, and I'm completely jealous. What happens to me when I'm provoked is that I get tongue-tied and my mind goes blank. Then, then I spend all night tossing and turning trying to figure out what I should have said."

"I have you to thank for it. For the first time in my life, when confronted with a horrible, insensitive person, I knew exactly what I wanted to say and I said it."

Ok, so I do that, too. I figure out what I should have said to someone who was less than friendly later on in the day/week/month, but my main problem these days is talking to potential employers.
I talked to all sorts of people - while cooking no less - during the Pilsbury Bake-Off. They were important people, the kind of people that made other contestants cry and/or freeze up from nervousness. Did I cry or freeze up during the Pilsbury Bake-off? Nope. I was the picture of Southern hospitality.

What is the difference between interviewing with NBC during the Pilsbury Bake-Off and interviewing with/talking on the phone with a potential employer for a teaching job? Cooking is not my passion. Teaching is.

A few years ago Bobby Flay said, "If you aren't nervous about your passion, you aren't passionate about it," to a bunch of potential Food Network Stars. The quote struck me hard. When am I most likely to be a babbling and incoherent? Answer: When I am trying to get a job.

Why can't I just tell them that I am awesome and wonderful? Why can't I brag on myself? Why can't I convey all of my above-and-beyond qualities? I blame Southern humility. It is the only time I can think of that it has shot me in the foot. *Sigh* I think I need to eat cake.

Seriously, name those movies! AND any advice?!

No comments:

Post a Comment